Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hello, My Introduction, and welcome to cancer.

Cancer. We all know the term. Just about everyone has a personal experience with it. Perhaps an aunt, uncle or friend of the family has had it. Some may have died, others survived. Regardless, almost all of us have a personal connection with the disease. In the last several decades advances in the treatment of the disease have progressed greatly. We've learned there are many chemicals that can kill off the diseased cells. We've learned that radiation can kill them. We've learned that we can give very very strong dosages of either under the right conditions. We've found many genes which can lead to cancer. We've found some ways to fight those genes.

And yet, all of us are touched by cancer. Some of us more than others. Every cancer story has survivors. In some instances it's those who have survived cancer. In some it's those who've watched those they love pass. What follows is my story. The ending should be pretty obvious already. But the end alone isn't enough. Read on.

----

My sister called. She had no idea about about her luck, I suspect she
wouldn't have called had she known. "She's," this was the first time I had
to say this. It didn't come out right away and not without tears, "She's dead."
That was only minutes after she had stopped breathing. The nurse hadn't
even shown up yet to declare her dead. Yes, I'm sure my sister wouldn't
have called at that moment had she known.

Spring quarter, 1993 - About 8 years earlier.

It was my 2nd time taking this class, which was rather annoying as it was
in my field and I was actually very good in the subject. The problem the
first time around is that it was an 8am class with a terrible professor
who was far too much of a baseball fan to actually get on topic. So, here
I sat, back in the corner as always. I hated being called on to answer
questions; I inevitably got them right and with more information than the
instructor wanted.

Even before the class began I could tell it was going to be a tedious one.
The instructor was not a full professor, barely spoke english and didn't
really know the material. Throughout the entire class I spent far too
much time correcting her, even from the back corner seat.

The only thing that kept me coming to the class was the hottie in the
opposite corner of the room. All the way on the left, 2nd row. Granted,
from my position pretty much all I could see was her hair and the
occasional profile when she looked up. But, that was enough for me, she
was gorgeous. Incredibly, unbelievably full long curly dark brown hair.
Beautiful profile. Cute button nose. She was dating someone. But, a
friend had talked to her at some point and mentioned me; her response
"Oh, that cutie back in the corner?".

Later that year, my student organization decided to honor her at our end
of year dinner. She had survived Hodgkin's disease about 13 years prior,
before even entering high school. The president of our organization had
lost his sister to the same disease. I learned a little more about her at
the dinner. She has a daughter, just over a year and a half old. She was
the most adorable little clone of her mother. This was her 2nd time
attending college, her previous degree wasn't going to help her get a good
job to support the little girl. She was still seeing that guy.

Continue reading Chapter 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home