Friday, June 09, 2006

Complaining about loss?

One sunday morning, several weeks ago I woke up with the TV still on whatever channel I had fallen asleep to. Some TV preacher was on. He was apparently giving a sermon about being blessed and not complaining about small losses. He was telling a story about a man that was in his office complaining. It went something like this,
"...so I told the man, "lets make a list of all the things you have to complain about. I'm sorry about the loss of your wife and I'm sorry you got fired..."
At this point I actually laughed. He went on to talk about the mans house burning down. I found it so funny that he was giving a sermon about not complaining about things and then used the example that yeilded 2 of 3 losses for me. What would he have told me? "Well, at least you've got your health." I'm thinking that wouldn't have cheered me up way too much.

It's incredibly tough explaining my situation to people because most people really can't understand. I'm very lucky that I got the support I needed when I needed it. My parents, both having grown up during particularly bad times, were no strangers to loss. If it weren't for their financial support I'm sure I would have lost my house. That would have been truly devastating. This is in addition to the obvious emotional support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home