Monday, June 11, 2007

What's in this for everyone else?

I've been wondering what the purpose of this story is. I mean, it's a long depressing story about my life. Why is this something others care about?

It's really not a Chicken Soup for the Soul kind of story for the cancer patients. It's not particularly uplifting or inspirational. Those going through chemo probably won't get way too cheery reading the story.

Those who know the patients won't get much out of the stories either. It does a great job of making them face the reality of what's happening and few people want to see that. And that, I realized, is what the story is about. Life will end. For many, far too soon. Don't let the time simply pass.

I suppose that the short advice I've spent the last however many pages of text trying to convey is this.

Patients & Survivors: Don't be afraid of what you are and have gone through. Live proudly with it and don't let it affect others.

Others: Be there. Remember that for as hard and strange as it is for you, THEY are the ones getting IVs or worse, puking, losing their hair, and actually facing the prospect death. I'll tell you now, if they die and you weren't there, you will feel far far worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home